Oak Creek, WI Diversity Council
The Oak Creek Diversity Council was formed by the graduates of the first diversity training session in May of 1992. It was formed to ensure the that diversity is valued at the Oak Creek facility. The council has been very active ever since its inception.
PPG Oak Creek is a corporate member of the Milwaukee Ethnic Council. The Milwaukee Ethnic Council is a coalition of individuals and organizations representing the diversity of heritage in Milwaukee. Founded in 1988, the Council and its Foundation are non-profit, non-partisan organizations, working to foster cooperation and fellowship among various ethnic groups.
The MEC is involved in a variety of activities aimed at enriching our community by bringing about racial harmony, promoting understanding and opposing ethnic stereotyping and intimidation. In addition to seminars and panel discussions, the Council annually presents Milwaukee Ethnic Council's Vision of Milwaukee Award to an individual or organization for outstanding service to the community.
In 1998, PPG Oak Creek assumed a leadership role in the Milwaukee corporate community by becoming the first corporate sponsor of the Milwaukee Ethnic Council.
Oak Creek Diversity Council members actively participated on this committee which seeks to promote harmony and unity across different ethnic groups in the city of Milwaukee.
OAK CREEK COUNCIL MISSION
"Support the development of a 'valuing diversity' process directed toward achieving the Oak Creek vision and helping all associates adapt to changes occurring in our work force, work practices and work environment. This includes supporting diversity training, providing referral and resource information, integrating diversity into existing processes (i.e. quality process, staff meetings, etc.), supporting corporate diversity initiatives, and coordinating diversity activities."
Upcoming Council Activities
- Habitat for Humanity "Work Saturdays" that include demolition work, dry walling and painting on new or rehabilitated homes.
- Partnership with the Oak Creek West Middle School.
- Support of the Milwaukee Ethnic Council Vision for Milwaukee Banquet
- Display case at Oak Creek has the current Diversity calendar page along with quotes, cultural items and each summer we include the schedule of Milwaukee's Ethnic Festivals held on the lake front.
Past Council Activities
- Pen Pal program between children/employees of Oak Creek and children/employees of a sister plant in Europe.
- Provide information on volunteer opportunties in the greater Milwaukee/Racine area.
- Collect and display ethnic background demographics of Oak Creek associates.
- Sponsored various diversity presentations by outside speakers to raise awareness and educate employees
- Organized luncheons for new hires to provide an orientation to the facility and to various committee activities and opportunities
- Organized Diversity Day celebration with outside invited guests from local schools