Sustainability at PPG
Environment, Health and Safety
Supply Chain - Emergency Response
PPG's objective is to ensure emergency response capability is available anywhere in the world PPG products are manufactured and distributed.
Although the primary objective is prevention, PPG understands the need to have an effective emergency response process. PPG's Global Emergency Response Process is in place to support prompt and efficient response to any supply chain incident involving a PPG product or shipment worldwide. This process is global in nature, characterizes risk, examines packaging and modes of transport, and identifies resources and expertise necessary to carry out emergency response activities. An emergency response plan was developed with a thorough understanding of the supply chain, including the response capabilities of the carriers, distributors, customers, and local responders. The plan contains detailed information on equipment, people, and materials in all geographic regions PPG operates,and is critiqued periodically, and revised as appropriate.
Recent highlights from PPG’s Emergency Response programs:
- PPG has a Global Emergency Response Process in place to support prompt and efficient response to any supply chain incident involving a PPG product or shipment worldwide.
- PPG has a 24 Hour Corporate Emergency Response Center at the Allison Park Research Facility located near Pittsburgh, USA.
- A Global Emergency Response Resource Guide is maintained on-line and is available to PPG associates anywhere in the world. It contains information about numerous internal and external resources throughout the world to provide equipment, materials, and expertise to respond to small, medium, or large incidents.
- PPG has an agreement with a contract service to provide global multilingual telephone emergency response assistance throughout the world.
- PPG has a Corporate Crisis Response Unit (CRU) made up of senior business leaders to assist in the management and oversight of incidents.
- Improving the management of responses to large scale emergencies in emerging markets or developing regions, where there may be limited resources and expertise, is a continuous activity. PPG has established agreements with customers, carriers, and contract responders to assist with emergency response.