Why Choose Ecoat?
The choice of electrocoat over other coating technologies is usually driven by the lower total applied cost of electrocoat. The low total applied cost is made possible because electrocoating is an automated, precise film build, high paint transfer efficiency process. The process yields a consistent part-to-part, high performing coating, with no need to inspect or re-work parts due to paint defects such as runs, sags and voids.
The key to electrocoat’s high paint transfer efficiency can be summarized in two parts:
- The process automatically limits the amount of paint being applied. As paint film builds on the surface, an insulating layer is built which resists the deposition of excess paint.
- By using ultrafiltration the process can recover over 98% of all paint that is carried out of the paint tank and into the rinse stages.
The process also provides the end user the ability to coat complex parts or hard to reach surfaces, while still hanging parts very densely. Combined with the fact that manual labor is not needed to apply paint, the electrocoat system becomes a fast moving and highly productive coating process.
Environmental advantages include products with low or zero VOC and HAPs, often eliminating the need for costly air abatement equipment that is present with many solvent based liquid spray or dip processes. Electrocoat products are heavy metal-free and have low BOD/COD if introduced to waste streams. Products are water-based, thus reducing fire hazards and worker exposure to hazardous materials.
Advantages of Selecting Electrocoating Technology
Application & Performance
- Outstanding Film Uniformity: Consistent film on all part-to-part surfaces. No sags, runs, or drips.
- Total Coverage of Complex Part Configurations: Coating on all recessed areas and sharp edges.
- Precise Film Build Control: Use DC voltage to deposit paint only where it is needed.
- Pre-Assembly Before Coating: Less post paint rejects.
- Wide Range of Products: Formulated to meet corrosion, durability and other performance specifications.
- Flexibility: Multiple part configurations can be coated in one tank, without having to change the application equipment.
- Totally Automated Process: No direct labor.
- Very High Productivity: Dense and non-uniform line loading.
- Very High Transfer Efficiency: Closed-loop rinse system approaches 100%.
- Lower Energy Requirements: No dry-off oven; minimal exhaust and air make-up.
- Minimal Maintenance: Minimal hook cleaning; no “booth” maintenance.
- Lower Insurance Rates: No specific fire or health hazards.
- Minimal Solid Waste: Closed-loop rinse system reduces paint loss.
- Reduced Fire Hazard: Waterborne systems.
- EPA Compliance: Low or zero VOC and HAPs coatings.
- OSHA Compliance: No special personal protection.
- Cleaner Application: Totally enclosed system.
- Recycled Water: Closed loop system reduces water loss.