Subaru: Paint ghosting repair procedure
There have been scattered instances in the field where an anomaly ghosting or staining has occurred on certain 2006 B9 Tribeca models with the Champaign Gold paint, color code 39J. It has been determined the defect is in the clearcoat only and may be repaired in the field using standard Refinish practices. It is not necessary to strip the color coat nor is it necessary to repair unaffected panels. Subaru of America is recommending utilizing PPG’s Certified First Network of shops to perform these repairs where the dealers does not have its own Collision Center. Please make note of this so you can answer any questions that may come from your shops.
Following is a guideline for Refinish Repair:
- Identify areas on vehicle that need repair. Colorcoat only the effected areas including blending, if required.
- Wash vehicle with soap and water – dry throughly
- If possible, force dry vehicle before prep at 140 F for 20 minutes
- R&I - handles, locks, trim, moldings etc..
- Degrease repair area with DX330 or comparable cleaner
- Sand repair area with 600g D/A – It is not necessary to remove the OEM clearcoat
- Apply basecoat color until hiding is achieved
- Apply Clearcoat
- Force dry
Subaru will be posting a similar message on their dealer website - Wednesday September 12, 2007. A link to the Certified First website shop locator has been included in their message for the convinence of the Subaru dealers.