Toyota 3 Stage Pearl Mica Process
Below is Toyota/Lexus paint philosophy on a 3 stage pearl mica finish when having color matching issues.
- First remove the door sill cover inside the door opening onto of the rocker.
- Carefully sand the clearcoat and pearlcoat only to expose the ground coat. NOTE: Do not use underhood color for matching ground coat!!!
- Create a sprayout card of only the ground coat and verify color match. If it doesn't match tint to match. Once complete reverse mask & reapply clear on the exposed basecoat before re-install the sill cover plate.
- Then with the correct shade/color of the ground coat make a spray out card.
- Then create a letdown panel on the spray out card which has the correct shade/color ground coat. The let down panel is required o determine how many coats of pearl are needed to match the overall vehicle.
- The repaired panel can now be blended into adjacent panels.
Color mismatch on a 3 stage will first require:
- Tinting and color matching the ground coat which is one operation.
- Then creating a letdown panel to match the amount of pearl needed to match the overall vehicle.
- Then blending of these coats is required. NOT PANEL PAINTING!!
NOTE: On a two coat clear application the first coat must completely cover the last coat of pearl pigment, while the second coat of clear needs to brought to the closest panel break.
NOTE: On a three coat clear application again the first coat of clear must completely cover the last coat of pearl pigment, the second of clear to extend past the first coat of clear and only the third coat of clear to be brought to the closest panel break.
NOTE: DO NOT DOUBLE OR TRIPLE COAT THE CLEAR TO THE END OF THE PANEL BREAK.
- Toyota/Lexus 3 Stage Pearl Matching Info