Barberton, OH Diversity Council
The Barberton Diversity Council was established in 2000. The newly established Council was formed to help employees improve work/family issues, enjoy more community activities, begin a Mentoring Program for new hires, and above all, recognize the value of a diverse workforce.
The Barberton Diversity Council is the second council to develop and implement a Mentoring Program for new hires. This program is designed to determine the expectations of a new hire, create the necessary environment for Mentor/New Hire progress and monitor its effectiveness. The complete program outline (in Word) is available for download here.
"To better understand and utilize our diversified workforce we, the Barberton Diversity Council, will educate our workforce through communication, diversity training, providing resource information and coordinating diversity activities. Our goal is to better our employees' quality of interaction in and out of the Barberton plant."
- Members will include a cross section of the plant population.
- Total membership of 5 to 8 people
- All members have equal status and responsibiliies
- The initial chairperson will serve a 2-year term, after which the chairperson will be elected annually with the option of serving up to 2 years.
- The role of scribe will be rotated among members at each meeting
- Initial members will serve a 2-year term, at which time a rotation schedule will be set up with new members serving a minimum of 2 years.
- Meetings will be held monthly for one and a half hours, with timing scheduled where possible around shifts so that all members are able to attend.
- A majority of members must be present to conduct a meeting.
- Special meetings may be scheduled by the Chairperson.
Diversity Promotion Blitz Event
List of Diversity Broadcast Slogans
Special outside speaker on a diversity topic
Promote Mutual Respect
Job Shadowing Program
Reestablish mentoring program
Publish four articles for the newsletter
Sponsor two plant wide teambuilding exercises
Company sponsored employee/family event
Cosponsor career development workshop
Promote wage career enhancement opportunities
Past Council Activities
- Sponsored Corporate Roundtable Joint Diversity Council Meeting
- Completed training for mentoring program.
- Sponsor diversity training for Barberton Plant
- Three training sessions were conducted in 2001
- 95% attendance by plant associates
- Understand balance of work and family issues at Barberton
- Develop needs assessment for shiftworkers
- Develop an action plan based on the assessment
- Involvement with local community activity or group