#3 - Participate in Cancer Screenings
By taking action and participating in cancer screenings, you can prevent or detect cancer early. Early detection can save your life.
- Schedule an appointment with your doctor to get the prescription and referrals you need for cancer screenings.
- Overcome your fear of uncomfortable screenings or your worries about the results by reminings yourself that the earlier cancer is found, the more likely that it can be treated successfully.
- Do not use tobacco products.
- Be physically active--at least 30 minutes a day or most days of the week.
- Choose foods with less animal fat and more fiber.
- Use sunscreen and avoid tanning booths.
- Drink less alcohol--no more than 1 drink a day for women and 2 for men.
Additional resources: The National Cancer Institute, US National Institute of Health
Centers for Disease Control, Cancer Information
The American Cancer Society