Finalists named in PPG Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Paint Your Ride ContestSTRONGSVILLE, Ohio, June 18, 2008 –
PPG Industries’ (NYSE: PPG) automotive refinish business has announced 12 finalists in the 2008 PPG Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Paint Your Ride Contest. Contestants include custom painters, car builders and hot rod enthusiasts who have created original paint schemes for their vehicles using any of the 12 vibrant colors from the popular Vibrance Collection
Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® paint line from PPG. The co-branded line features colors found on the Hot Wheels® line of die-cast toy vehicles from Mattel, Inc.
Finalists’ vehicles will be exhibited in the PPG Show Truck area during the 11th Annual PPG Goodguys Nationals in Columbus, Ohio, July 11-13. While there, the 12 finalists will participate in a number of special activities, including a reception July 12 at which a panel of judges will announce the Paint Your Ride Contest Grand Prize winner. The panel includes bike builder Dave Perewitz of Perewitz Cycle Fabrication; Paul Stoll, PPG’s custom painting trainer; Larry Wood, chief designer at Hot Wheels®; Brian Brennan, editorial director of Street Rodder
; and Ed Capen, sponsorship sales director of Goodguys Rod & Custom Association.
The grand prize winner will be awarded an exclusive Hot Wheels® 1/18” scale model award trophy featuring their winning paint scheme. The scheme will also be reproduced on a future Hot Wheels® toy car to be introduced in 2009 by Mattel, Inc. In addition, the winning entry will be showcased in the PPG booth at the 2008 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas. The vehicle will also be displayed in full color on a 2009 PPG calendar along with other finalists and will appear in the PPG Repaint Reporter
Randy Cremeans, manager, collision segments, North America for PPG Automotive Refinish, said, “This contest has really created excitement within the restoration industry. Entrants came up with spectacular designs using the unique selection of colors available through the Vibrance Collection
by PPG and the Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® paint line. It was difficult to choose the 12 finalists because there were so many amazing entries.”
Eye-popping Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® colors are part of the array of custom finishes that can be found in the Vibrance Collection
.The colors are: aqua, medium sapphire, lime gold, rich yellow gold, bright emerald, anti-freeze green, orange, bright red, Hot Wheels® blue, hot pink, light red, watermelon and purple.
Visit the PPG Automotive Refinish Web site, www.ppgrefinish.com
, to view the 12 finalists of the Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Paint Your Ride Contest.
The 12 finalists, their cars and paint schemes are:
- Jim & Melinda Cooper, Laguna Hills, Calif. – 1956 Chevrolet Handyman 2-door wagon – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Medium Sapphire
- David Giles, Arkport, N.Y. – 1969 Chevrolet El Camino truck – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Medium Sapphire and Anti-Freeze Green
- John F. Beecher III, Lafayette, Ind. – 1903 Oldsmobile, hand-built, one of a kind – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Anti-Freeze Green
- Tim Doyon, Eagle, Idaho – 1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS convertible – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Hot Wheels® Blue
- Jerry Ford, New Braunfels, Texas – 1960 Chevrolet El Camino truck – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Bright Red and Orange
- Zachary Hawthorne, Mineral City, Ohio – 1951 Mercury Sport sedan – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Purple
- Brent Keener & Tom Paternoster, Rochester, Mich. – 1932 Ford High-Boy roadster – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Anti-Freeze Green, Orange and Lime Gold
- Kevin Young, Byesville, Ohio – 1953 Ford panel truck – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Rich Yellow Gold, Hot Wheels® Blue, Hot Pink and Anti-Freeze Green
- Keith & Kathleen Bright, Salina, Kan. – 1931 Chrysler Model 309 4-door sedan – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Anti-Freeze Green
- Rick & Kathy Adams, Backus, Minn. – 1950 Studebaker R Series pickup – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Orange
- Clifford Nicholson, Dassel, Minn. – 1959 Ford Thunderbird 2-door convertible – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Lime Gold
- John Joyce, Germantown, Md. – 1970 Chevrolet El Camino Custom Roadster – Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® Hot Wheels® Blue, Hot Pink and Medium Sapphire
For details and information on Vibrance Collection
finishes by PPG and the Hot Wheels® Spectraflame® paint line, call 800-647-6050 or visit the PPG Automotive Refinish Web site at www.ppgrefinish.com
Pittsburgh-based PPG is a global supplier of paints, coatings, chemicals, optical products, specialty materials, glass and fiber glass. The company has more than 150 manufacturing facilities and equity affiliates and operates in more than 60 countries. PPG’s sales in 2007 were $11.2 billion. SigmaKalon, a worldwide coatings producer based in Uithoorn, Netherlands, that PPG acquired Jan. 2, 2008, had 2007 sales of $2.9 billion. PPG shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: PPG). For more information, visit www.ppg.com
.Vibrance Collection is a trademark of PPG Industries.
Hot Wheels® and Spectraflame® are registered trademarks of Mattel, Inc.
PPG Automotive Refinish