Sustainability at PPG
Environment, Health and Safety
Management Systems - Responsible Care®
Since 1988, PPG’s Chemicals businesses in the United States have implemented Responsible Care®, a voluntary program to achieve improvements in environmental, health and safety performance beyond levels required by the US government.
The American Chemistry Council
(ACC) continues to enhance the Responsible Care®
program. As a result, PPG continues to strengthen its commitment and continuously improve its efforts.
The program has resulted in:
- significant reductions in releases to air, land and water
- major improvements in workplace and community safety
- expanded programs to research and test chemicals for potential health and environmental impacts.
Recent changes in the program have required the following as a condition of ACC membership:
- Conversion of the Responsible Care® Codes of Practice to implementation of a Responsible Care® Management System (RCMS).
- An independent third party certification of the Responsible Care® Management System to ensure appropriate actions are taken to improve performance. PPG has already achieved its RCMS Headquarters Certification.
- Tracking and publicly reporting performance based on economic, environmental, health and safety, societal and product related metrics. PPG’s Chemicals business performance metrics have been reported to ACC and can be viewed on their website.
- A Security Code that helps protect people, property, products, processes, information and information systems by enhancing security throughout the chemical industry value chain. PPG has incorporated the Security Code into the corporate security program. To learn more about PPG's Security program, click here.
Responsible Care® is a registered trademark of the American Chemistry Council.