PPG's internal repair system is designed to provide a simple repair process when there's a specific underhood color or where the internal area is a low gloss version of the external color. This SOP will guide you through the Internal Repair Product Application. Before beginning any repair, it is important to always wear the recommended safety protection required for the job.
- A technician should review a work order to ensure that all parts to be painted are present and repairs are understood.
- Refer to PD-0120 METAL PARTS PREP E-COAT for detailed instructions.
- Non-exterior facing e-coat panels to be refinished should be cleaned with a regionally approved surface cleaner with a general-purpose scuff pad. Thoroughly dry with a clean towel. Use tack cloth before proceeding.
- Mix Internal Repair, Engine Bay, or Underhood color ready for use (RFU) according to the Product Data Sheet or Technical Bulletin.
- Convert Waterborne Color- Refer to the Product Data Sheet or Technical Bulletin for conversion detailed instructions. Stirring in the converter before activating and thinning is crucial.
Solvent Color- A primer-sealer is required over e-coat before solvent basecoat color application. Refer to Product Data Sheets for Primer Sealer and Basecoat color system for detailed instructions.
- Apply Internal Repair, Engine Bay, or Underhood color. Refer to all Product Data Sheets or Technical Bulletins for detailed instructions.
- If the final process is basecoat color, it is best practice to activate the basecoat color. If not activating the basecoat color, select the proper gloss level clearcoat to protect the basecoat.