Applying a quality clearcoat over basecoat color not only provides a superior gloss, it protects the color from fading and enhances appearance, scratch resistance and overall durability. This standard operating procedure (SOP) covers the clearcoat application process.
- A technician should review a work order to ensure that all parts to be painted are present and repairs are understood.
- After basecoat or single stage color has flashed the appropriate amount of time according to the Product Data Sheet, begin the clearcoat application process.
- Following the Product Data Sheet for mixing instructions for the clearcoat system selected.
- Refer to a Product Data Sheet for the recommended spray gun fluid tip size.
- For the PPG Limited Lifetime Guarantee and OEM warranty purposes, the clearcoat must extend to the nearest panel edge or break off point and cover the basecoat color by a minimum of 2.0 mils.